Monday, March 14, 2011

London circa 1998


Song challenge of the day: A song that reminds you of somewhere.

I was in London working for Vidal Sassoon in 1998, and it just so happened to coincide with this album dropping. It was EVERYWHERE. I arrived in England with two suitcases and a tube map, found my way to Chiswick, where I was renting a room from a wonderful woman called Toni and began my adventure, with this damn song playing in the background constantly.

From the Davies Mews to the S. Molton St. Salons, this tune was inescapable. Not to mention I was hitting every gay bar in the city with my co-workers, and I don't care what country you're in, raging club queens love Madonna. (Did I mention Toni and her girlfriend also had a Madonna obsession? Yeah, I heard it at home, too.) Anyhow, of all the weekends at Slimelight dancing my heart out to music that was far more my taste, that music doesn't register in my memory, this one stands as the soundtrack to my months there.

I fell in love with England that year, I fell in love with my career even more than before, I made amazing friends, had lots of laughs and learned more about myself in that time period than I had thought imaginable. Had I been able to stay there forever, I would have. It stands as one of the best eras of my life, so when I hear this,  I just can't help but smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment