Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ewww, politics.

Political conversation makes me break out into hives.  It's oftentimes uncomfortable, aggressive and irrational.   Most of all,  it's one guy trying to convince another that his yahoo is somehow better than the other guy's.  Crooks and liars, all of them… that's what I say, which is probably why I end up favoring the one that is least offensive to me in some ways.  That's why I don't go there.  It's sort of like debating religion with people, no good is going to come of it and someone's going to walk away with their panties in a twist.

None of this means that I don't have opinions.  And I'm tired of folks coming to me and assuming that I would naturally hold the same views as them because we 'are so much alike'.    So here is my little opinion post.   Look it over, see what I think, and then kindly still refrain from involving me in your political debate, even if we see eye to eye on something.

1.  I am pro gun, pro death penalty and pro choice.
2.  We give too many damn handouts in this country.  Welfare should exist on a limited time frame and all generational welfare recipients should be left in the street to find a damn job and be put on mandatory birth control….. or better yet, sterilization.   Having children isn't a right, it's a privilege.  Can't properly take care of your kids, but yet you stay knocked up?  Someone should snatch them right out of your grubby hands.
3.  Religion is too infiltrated in politics.  I couldn't care less about your 'moral code'.
4.  People have the right to sleep with whoever they want.  I have no tolerance for lifestyle intolerance.
5.  The government should just stay the hell out of an individual's private life.  I don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home,  so long as you're not hurting anyone else.   You shouldn't care either, mind your own business.
6.  Yeah, yeah, the USA  is great, a powerhouse (and yes, I'm damn glad and proud to live in this country).  It's just a shame that as a whole, we're lacking widespread superior health care and education.   Blast me if you want, but so many other countries do it better and live happier, healthier and smarter lives.   One day it's going to make a difference to the detriment of our children's and grandchildren's lives.
7.  My family came to the US legally, I have little tolerance for those who don't.  My father got his citizenship by becoming a Force Recon Marine and spending a loooong time in Vietnam. THAT'S  how badly he wanted to be in this country, so go whine to someone else about this.         Oh, and they learned to speak the language.   Quickly.  

That, my friends, is the fastest and easiest way for me to get across my views, all stated in ways that even a teen could understand.    Now I'm off to go antique shopping and will post my song thing later today.
Happy Saturday, everyone!

p.s.   I HATE Sarah Palin in every way imaginable, more than you know.  Thinking she's worthy of note is not only ridiculous, in my book, it's a character flaw.   Just had to get that one in there.  ;)  

3 comments:

  1. Love it!! Right there with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unsurprisingly, I think you and I are almost of one mind politically. It's amazing how many otherwise intelligent people just can't break from the false dichotomy. When you say you are pro-gun and also for socialized healthcare, they can't seem to rectify their assumed paradox--"what, you're conservative on some issues and liberal on others?!?" It's fun observing a face in the moment before it goes blank and the head explodes from being unable to compute.

    I'm with you when it comes to argumentation; I've more than had my fill and generally avoid it a la Dale Carnegie.

    And yes, Sarah Palin is a total populist flake. The only reason I think she's is so well-liked (by party conservatives) is because she has more balls than most other U.S. politicians/pundits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. O: As you know, I'm surrounded by lots of staunch bible belt conservatives around here. It's typically assumed by most of them that I'm a flaming liberal, simply because they spend a lot of time watching me and scratching their heads trying to figure it all out. And I suppose I am very socially liberal in lots of ways. They just get thrown for a loop when I suggest a firing squad for hardened criminals an hour after a verdict is read. As you said, it blows their mind.

    All in all, I refuse to identify completely with either side, it's pigeonholing at it's finest. I'd rather form my own opinions on single issues based on how they resonate with my sensibilities. I'm not a political tower of knowledge, I just know what is right within my own code of ethics.

    p.s. I know you're right about Palin, she's the perfect juxtapose to liberals who spend all their time polishing their good guy badges. It's just a shame the woman has the brains and finesse of a sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete