Saturday, March 19, 2011

I love The Smiths

I haven't the slightest urge to share anything today. My head is as close to empty as it's ever going to get, which is probably the result of a three day headache, little sleep and a long list of things I must accomplish in the next two days off of work.  I'm feeling a little shaky, so I'll get right down to it.

Today I must play something from my favorite band. I'm getting really repetitive by saying I don't have one these days, I could probably do much better if you gave me a genre of music to spring off of. But no, it's got to be an all time favorite band. I'm just going to make things easier on myself by going with the band that is as easy for me to listen to today as it was in the 80's. The Cure actually would have to hold the rank of my absolute favorite band when I was young, but in truth, it's not been on heavy rotation for many years. I can only do smaller doses of Robert Smith these days. Hmmm.

I play The Smiths pretty consistently. Most people don't feel indifferent towards them, they either love them or absolutely despise them. My son (the older one) would rather throw himself out of my car toward oncoming traffic than to be subjected to it, so it's especially useful when he's made me angry and I have him as a captive audience. No one ever said I fight fair. Anyhow, I love The Smiths as much today as I did when I first heard one of their songs. Their music is oftentimes melodic and cheery, and the juxtapose of their offbeat (and sometimes really mean or terribly depressing) lyrics makes them special. But I'm not here to convince anyone to like them, I'm just going to play a little tune that I love. Choosing a song from their library was harder than I thought, but I finally decided on this one, since Oscar Wilde makes everything better.






No comments:

Post a Comment