Monday, September 19, 2011

Shipwreck

So, The Kid is sick.  I've perused the entire Woman's Wear Daily website, done more laundry than should be allowable by labor laws, gotten some actual work done from home via computer and then decided to sit down and listen to some music.  This blog post is pretty much an after thought.  I did very well keeping up with it when I had a video to inspire me on what to write about every day, but then I sort of fell off.  Maybe music is my key or inspiration to open up to a bunch of strangers and friends.

Perhaps I should start referring to the early-mid nineties (93 to about 97) as my Chris Connelly years.
'July' took my ears by storm and changed my perspective on him as an artist.  I've got all sorts of messy relationships, cringe-worthy stories, huge mistakes, ect. all wrapped up in the memories, but I can honestly say when I listen to that particular song, all the ugly shit melts away and I'm very young and passionate again… the way a real artist is supposed to inspire you to.. well.. feel.  Music made today just rarely does that to me anymore.


Of course, Revolting Cocks was amazing, but Chris Connelly just makes magic on his own.  Take a listen to his masterpiece.



Then, of course, in 1994 his best album ever came out and I have not stopped listening to it since.  Connelly has been often compared to Bowie due to this collection of songs, and that may be the appeal for me.   Anyhow, I'm not surprised that loads of people haven't even heard of it, but everyone is missing out.

'Shipwreck' is solidly in my list of favorite top ten albums of all time.  Matter of fact, if you want a soundtrack who's lyrics chronicle my downward spiral of the early to mid nineties, listen to this album from start to finish.  It pretty much says it all.    "The Early Nighters" is sort of self explanatory.



I know I'm putting up  too many videos in one post and that there are few who will take the time to actually listen to all of them.  I'm probably breaking all the blog world rules, but who gives a crap?
They're just there for the people that may want a deeper glimpse into me.  And this WAS me at one time, making it a permanent part of who I am forever.

The last track of this album is 'Shipwreck' and in my humble opinion it's the best song on the album.    I know, I have a pretty solid obsession with the ocean, ships, lighthouses…. I know.   Songs with this sort of imagery are obviously going to touch me.  While this entire album spoke to me, this particular song is firmly attached to the strangest and most alien days of my life.  Not the outwardly ugly, but the really black days I drowned in for so long.  If you listen to any of these songs, do yourself a favor and listen to this one.  It's beautiful, painful and will haunt your dreams.  They sometimes still haunt mine.



I don't always have the words to describe eras or feelings that linger attached to them (though sometimes it seems that I never really shut up)… but it never fails that I can find a song to say it for me.   I'll come back and make a proper blog post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment